Friday, January 4, 2013

my new craft room!

Happy Friday!!

I have cherished these last two weeks...not only because of the Christmas season, but also because my two kids have had their Winter Break off from school. And to make things even better, my husband was also able to take some time off, too! With these lazy days I have enjoyed sleeping in, spending time with family, relaxing, watching movies, organizing, cleaning (OK, maybe that's a stretch), but best of all getting started on my craft room makeover!!

I have been wanting to make over my craft room for a very long time now and after realizing that my hubby had some time off after Christmas, I thought this would be the perfect week to get it done. Because, let's face it - I needed his help!

I am lucky enough to have my own little 10x10 room filled with all of my crafting goodies and it has definitely changed its look throughout the 2 1/2 years we have lived in this house. Usually it's just me re-organizing this and that, cleaning, re-organizing, and then cleaning again. But it has NEVER been painted (we are the third owners of this house and this room still had the original flat paint from when it was built). I was also realizing how little space I had to work on my craft projects, so I knew that needed to change. However, I still wanted to keep my desk, so I separated my craft working space and my business work space. I LOVE how it turned out. And, although there are still a few things I'd like to do, I didn't want to put off any longer sharing with you my new space!

I really wanted to show you some before and after pictures, but many of my before pictures were taken awhile ago so it really didn't reflect the "right before". We got started on the project so quickly that I didn't think to take pictures before we cleared out the room! But, I did want you to have some sort of idea of what the room looked like, so here are a couple that might give you an idea...

BEFORE
{standing in the doorway}
 

BEFORE
{my tiny little space to work}

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 Welcome to my new craft room!!

You will notice that I like clean lines and not much clutter. I didn't fill every corner of this room, but there are a lot of things "tucked away" out of sight. The color I chose for the walls is called Teal Zeal from Home Depots' Behr paint line.

I had this fun vinyl from last year's Sale-A-Bration, so I decided to put it on the craft room door because my craft room really does feel like my "home sweet home"! It's the place I go to use my creative juices and {most of the time} a place where I can de-stress.

When you first walk into the room through the doorway and turn to the RIGHT, you now see this. Last year I had taken the doors off of my closet and replaced it with this curtain (which was the inspiration for the color I chose to paint the walls) to have easy access to all of the things "hiding" away in there.

I kept my original desk because I love it so much and I wanted to have a separate space to work on my Stampin' Up! business stuff. Thankfully we had an extra computer I could use!! I added a shelf for a card display. Eventually, I might add a wall vinyl or a clock above the shelf to fill up the empty space.

One of my new fun purchases...love this lamp!

Continuing in a circle, next you will see my window which not only got new blinds, but my mom made me a valance using some leftover fabric from the curtains. I kind of wanted to leave the space underneath the window clean and without anything, but I quickly realized I needed some more storage space and a place to put my Cricut, so I rearranged some things in the kids' play room and took this cube organizer. It worked perfectly.

I've had this great hutch since moving into our house (found it in the Ikea "as is" section!) and it has been awesome for so much of my crafting storage. This is where my die cut station is and where I have my wood mount stamps stored. To the left of the hutch is my 12x12 DSP rack. More details on my paper storage can be found in a post I originally shared here.

I love my DVD racks which store my clear mount stamp sets perfectly, as well as my Framelits (which I put into clear mount cases). You can find thess for very inexpensive at Ikea. In the previous picture you will see they also hold my Original and Bigz dies.

And, now my favorite part of the room!! This is my new workspace!! Soon there will be a chair there, but I'm still on the hunt for the "right one".

The table is long and everything is within reach...exactly what I wanted! **Updated to add: The tabletop I purchased from Ikea. It is the 6-1/2 foot length. It comes in many different sizes. I wanted something already done (with laminate top), so I opted for not doing it myself! ;) I will eventually add a picture of my kiddos on either side of the shelf to get rid of the empty wall space above the punch storage.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about my new space. I didn't take the time to take up close pictures of where I keep everything, but if people are interested I may do that in the future, so leave a comment to let me know if that's something you'd like to see. I figure I just wanted to get the overall pictures posted before it was too late!

Now that my room is put back together I hope to be able to actually start stamping again! Lots of fun things and events on the horizon!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

14 comments :

Sarah said...

I love it! The color is so bright and cheery and the new table is awesome! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your new room! The color is so fun, and your new workspace is awesome!

Jennifer said...

Looks GREAT, Heidi!!! You are SO organized!!! Maybe you can come and help me with my room now!!! LOL (=

Patrice said...

Looks awesome Heidi. Lucky you to have had such a fun project over the Christmas break.

I'm looking forward to seeing your 'up close' organisation so please do share when you have the time.

Sindy said...

Love it! The color is great!

vicki said...

It looks so good in person! Love everything about it...great job!

Terri said...

Looks like a great space! Thank you for sharing.

Celia Cawthon said...

Heidi! I just found a reply from Dec 30 from you on FB ... my studio is 11x11.5 and yes! Call it a studio! Girl, we love our spaces so much we could order in Starbucks and stay all day. My move across TX last month forced me into super organization mode so I could still publish Day Planners for the Stampin' Up! demos without overflowing into the hall, LOL

rewrww said...

I love your space; the color, the organized, clean lines of your space. Now I want to redo my space!! Please share what type of material is your tabletop for your crafting space? I have the same cubes and would love to make a sturdy desktop. Thank you for sharing your room to inspire us!!

Heidi @ Stuck on Stampin said...

rewrww - Not sure if you will see this comment, but I will also update the blog post to let you know the answer to your question. The tabletop I found at Ikea. They have many different sizes, but this one is 6 1/2 feet long. Hope this helps!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Ohhhhh!!! I love it! Can I come over? ;)

Terry said...

I love the color on the walls and your curtains/valance. It really makes the white in the room POP. I also like that when you sit down, you can reach everything - stamps, ink, ribbons, paper... awesome! I see so many craft rooms where things are spread out and think "it's beautiful, but not very practical." Cool room, Heidi!

Office Rental Solutions said...

Oh boy, you did such a wonderful makeover job on that craft room! Such a productive long break for you and your beloved. Good work!

Melissa Phelps said...

Hi Heidi,

Love your craft room. I am also fortunate to have a craft room that doubles as a guest room, but is currently only holding my sewing stuff whereas, my other crafting stuff is in the office. I would like to eventually combine both spaces and be completely engulfed in both worlds.

However, I was wondering what you used to hold your whale handled punches (on the wall).

Thanks again for sharing your ideas and craftiness,

Melissa Phelps
misielisie@aol.com

// ADDED BY RYAN ON 1-3-14 // END ADDED BY RYAN 1-4-14