Monday, December 5, 2011

12 days of Christmas {projects} - day 5

Christmas Project #5
Holiday Hand Sanitizer Ornaments

A little delay on today's Christmas project, but I hope this fun gift idea is worth the wait! And, as I always say...better late than never!! *wink*

I purchased at least 20 cute little reindeer mini hand sanitizers last January on the after-Christmas clearance on Bath & Body Works knowing that I would want to make some holders for them for this year's bazaar (there were so many great tutorials out there, especially this one from Erica Cerwin which I used for a stamp club hostess gift back in May). However, when it came time for me to get working on bazaar stuff, I put these holders on the bottom of the list and never got to them. I'm not sure if the work involved or if I just had too much on my plate was to blame, but it didn't happen! Fortunately I did a second bazaar a couple of weeks later and decided to go for it. However, instead of going the more difficult route I opted for something clean and simple...and quick {just my style}. I was able to create these cute little hand sanitizer holders as a result and I'm so happy with the way they turned out!

Please note: For the craft bazaars I participate in, I typically try to use up retired DSP and save the current DSP for events that I host. Therefore, this is the reason many of these projects I am posting in my 12 Days of Christmas {Projects} uses retired DSP. Any of these projects can be easily changed with current DSP, if desired!


Cut a piece of Real Red card stock 3-1/2" x 5-1/2".
Score lengthwise 2-1/4" and 3-1/4".

Turn your card stock and score again 1" and 2-1/2".

Fold each of the score lines and then using Paper Snips, snip the two inside folds on each side.

For DSP, you will need:
2 pieces - 1-3/8" x 2-1/8"
2 pieces - 7/8" x 2-1/8"

Adhere the two larger pieces to the front and the back as shown below.

Using the 1-1/4" Circle punch, line the circle on the front and center it (I just go ahead and "eyeball" it and hope for the best).

Not too bad, right?

On the inside of the box, place Sticky Strip on the outside of the two "flaps". I used SNAIL adhesive and added a strip to the inside.

Begin to fold it up like a box with the flap on the outside. In the next step it will be covered up by the last part that comes up.

On the last two flaps, put Sticky Strip on the outside and SNAIL adhesive on the inside for extra "stickiness". Fold up to make a completed box similar to the last picture.

With SNAIL adhesive, cover the two sides using the other two pieces of DSP (7/8 x 2-1/8).

Using the 1/8" hole punch, punch a hole on each side of the box

Cut an 8-1/2" piece of Real Red 1/8" Taffeta ribbon. Thread it through one of the holes and tie a double knot. (Note: the length of the ribbon depends on how big you want the loop).

Then thread the ribbon on the other side and double knot. Trim the ends, if necessary.

Decorate the front as desired.
Don't you just love how the reindeer are peeking through?!
(I used the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set in Real Red ink. Punched it out with the Window punch and Modern Label punch out of Real Red card stock. The snowflake is from the Northern Frost Decorative Strip die. I added a Rhinestone to the center for a little bling!)

A helpful tip when using Glimmer Paper with your Sizzlits dies. Be sure to place the "sparkly" part facing up. This will be waaaaaaaay easier to punch out. Let's just say I learned from experience. *wink*

Use a paper piercing tool to poke out the detailed parts of the snowflake.
(I don't have a clue why this picture is sideways!!)

Hang the ornament on the tree (or anywhere) for a special surprise! Wouldn't these be great little gifts for people in the health care field...or a teacher!!

Hope you have a happy and HEALTHY Christmas season!!

And, if you're curious...the reindeer mini hand sanitizers aren't available anymore, but they do have some other cute options like the ones below.


Come back tomorrow for Day 6...and definitely come back on December 12th for a giveaway!!

************************

Day 1 - M & M's Skinny Bag with Matching Tag
Day 2 - Rudolph Punch Art Gift Card Holder
Day 3 - Santa Suit Jars
Day 4 - Hershey Nugget Trays

4 comments :

Kelli said...

This is by far may favorite so far...and that's saying a lot because I love them all (like the Santa candy!). I will have to see if I can find some of those little bottles to make these.

Sarah said...

These are SO cute!! Do you have any left? :-)

Unknown said...


christmas celebration

how is christmas celebrated
christmas traditions

Unknown said...


christmas love messages for girlfriend

merry christmas quotes for someone special


christmas love quotes for her

// ADDED BY RYAN ON 1-3-14 // END ADDED BY RYAN 1-4-14